Southern Paleo Livin'

Southern Paleo Livin'

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Paleo Guilty Pleasure

Sooooo I am just going to go ahead and make the disclaimer that this post is not exactly paleo. But if I can give you easily accesible, healthier options for everyday unhealthy foods, well goshdarnit I am going to do it.

So let's just get this out of the way. This post is all about chocolate. Dark chocolate to be specific. And mannnn oh mannnn do I loooove chocolate. Especially dark. It is truly my comfort food. Ohmygoodness, just so delicious!


Chocolate is a topic of some debate in the paleo world. Some die-hard, hardcore paleo followers say no. I think you all know where I stand in this debate...I'm a firm YES to chocolate while on paleo! Well...SOME chocolate. Semi-sweet and milk chocolate are a big negative; however, dark chocolate that is 70% (or higher) cocoa is considered to be paleo friendly. The higher percentage of cocoa, the better. Be warned though...the darker chocolate is definitely an acquired taste. I love the Ghirardelli Midnight Reverie bars which are 86% cocoa and labeled as "intense dark chocolate"...and they are not kidding. The first time I tasted it I was a bit turned off, but after my palate adjusted I began to appreciate it for the intense chocolate flavor it offers.


There is one brand of chocolate that I seriously love and highly recommend. It is the Endangered Species chocolate, and there are SO many reasons why I love it!

1. They have multiple dark chocolate flavored bars, all above 70%! (Extreme Dark Chocolate, Dark Chocolate with Cranberries and Almonds, Dark Chocolate with Mint (my absolute fave!), Dark Chocolate with Blueberries, Dark Chocolate with Hazelnut Toffee, etc.)
2. All of their ingredients are both organic and fair trade. The chocolate is sourced from ethically traded cacao farms ensuring fair trade, responsible labor practices, and sustainable farming.
3. 10% of the company's net profits are donated to species and habitat conservation efforts.
4. The brand is fairly inexpensive compared to some other organic chocolates.
5. The brand is widely available in grocery stores.
6. It is certified, vegan, gluten-free, and kosher.



My favorite chocolate!


So I say enjoy your chocolate! And know that I will be enjoying mine! ;-)

1 comment: