Southern Paleo Livin'

Southern Paleo Livin'

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Almond Butter

I have heard so many amazing things about almond butter. I always hear how much better it is for you than peanut butter, how it helps with blood sugar, etc. etc., so I decided to try it. When I did, it felt like all the moisture in my mouth was immediately sucked out of me and into this little blob of almond butter. I was NOT a fan! I was supposed to stir it, but it wouldn't stir! It just separated into one blob of completely dry "butter" plus a lot of oil on top (I am not going to say what brand I used because I am not any sort of expert on almond butter, and I don't want to speak negatively about any certain brands). I was less than thrilled with the experience. I kept it around though to use in recipes (and it ended up working just fine in my paleo pancakes (which will be a blog post soon!)).

But then I found the organic section at Kroger and began to explore...and I found a brand (MaraNatha) of almond butter that claimed to be no-stir. So I figured I would give it a try. When I opened it I was pleasantly surprised by the consistency because it was very similar to peanut butter (which I loooove, but unfortunately can't have on paleo. Heart=broken). I tried it and I swear my tastebuds fluttered! It was SO delicious! I now swear by it and use it on everything...apples, bananas, celery...anything that you would put peanut butter on, I put almond butter on. It is fantastic! AND, as an added bonus, they have both creamy and crunchy! I truly love both, but I am partial to the creamy (which is weird since I prefer crunchy peanut butter!).


I recently found it at Wal-Mart as well, and I was intrigued and excited to find a Raw Maple flavor of the brand I love! Be still, my heart!


That being said, I do not think this almond butter is strictly paleo since it does have slight traces of organic unrefined cane sugar. But in my opinion, it is a healthier and better alternative than other nut butters, so have at it (in moderation, of course)!

MaraNatha No-Stir Almond Butters

No comments:

Post a Comment