Southern Paleo Livin'

Southern Paleo Livin'

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Paleo Peppermint Patties

Happy July, everyone! I apologize again for the break in blogging. Last week was rough, and it ended with a double ear infection which was most definitely not fun. I am so over all these random ailments and am ready to enjoy the rest of my hopefully HEALTHY summer!

Last Sunday I was in quite the paleo mood, and I decided to try out this paleo peppermint patty recipe I have had for a while. York Peppermint Patties are my absolute FAVORITE candy in the universe. We even used them as favors for my wedding! So to find a paleo recipe for them made my heart skip a beat. The base of the inside peppermint-y part is coconut. I was hoping that the coconut taste would be subdued, but I was wrong. That being said, I am definitely not a big coconut lover. So, unfortunately, these were not my favorite recipe. Heart=broken. However, my husband absolutely adores them. He said it tastes like a York Peppermint Patty and a Mounds Bar fell in love and this was their love child. So, if you love those 2, then this is most definitely the treat for you.

Ingredients

~1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
~2 tablespoons coconut milk
~2 tablespoons coconut oil
~1/4 cup honey
~1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
~1 cup of chocolate chips

Directions

1. In a food processor (I bought a new one and LOVE IT!), process the shredded coconut about 30 seconds until it is very fine. Add the coconut milk, coconut oil, honey, and peppermint extract. Process about 30 seconds until a smooth paste has formed. (disclaimer 1...I accidentally quadrupled the amount of peppermint extract...oops. But, surprisingly, I don't think it did too much damage! They were still refreshing without being overly peppermint-y.)
2. Shape the paste into about 1 1/2 inch size rounds and place on a cookie sheet. Place the rounds in the freezer for 10 minutes. (disclaimer 2...I used wax paper on the cookie sheet thinking it would make clean up easier...wrong. Well, right, but it also completely messed up the recipe. I guess the patties need to be directly on the cookie sheet to get cold enough, so mine did not, and never made it past a peppermint-coconut mush phase)
3. Melt the chocolate in the microwave on medium power or over a double boiler. Remove the shaped patties from the freezer and coat in chocolate. Allow the chocolate to cool and harden before serving. Enjoy!

Store leftovers in the fridge.


As you can see...my peppermint patties were not pretty. But again, my husband loved them. Because they were such a mess I ended up making peppermint patty sandwiches out of them, which my husband thought was fantastic. So at least there is some wiggle room with this recipe if it doesn't turn out quite as planned! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Are You Having Trouble FOLLOWING with your Paleo Diet?

    Do you want to munch on some delicious recipes TONIGHT?

    Check out the: Paleo Hacks Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 Researches REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally kill fat by consuming coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete