Southern Paleo Livin'

Southern Paleo Livin'

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Eye of Round Roast

My mom makes the best eye of round roast. It has been my favorite for years! I was really craving it a few weeks back and decided to make some.

Ingredients (disclaimer...I am very simple when it comes to GOOD meat! I am a purist!)

~1 eye of round roast (however many pounds you need)
~Sea salt and pepper

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
2. Sprinkle outside of meat with sea salt and pepper. As much or as little as you want. I use some, but don't go overboard. It really doesn't need it.
3. Ok...here comes the math part. You put the roast in at 500 degrees for 5 minutes per pound (I have also heard 7, so you could always do the average and do 6 minutes per pound?). So if you have a 3 lb roast, it would be in the oven at 500 degrees for 15 minutes. Then....turn off the oven! Let it sit for 2 to 2.5 hours, then remove it. If you are cautious you can use a meat thermometer to check the internal temp. Here are standard temperature levels for roasts:

120°F to 125°F (49°C to 52°C) = Rare
130°F to 140°F (55°C to 60°C) = Medium Rare
145°F to 150°F (63°C to 66°C) = Medium

No, I did not give any temperatures above medium, because that would be a sin against this beautiful roast beef. PLUS you will probably have leftovers, and it is good to have it a little on the rare side so it doesn't overcook when you reheat it. As you can tell from my pictures, I like it a LOT on the rare side.


Sorry for the long break in blogging. Life gets in the way sometimes. :-) I hope everyone is enjoying their summer!

2 comments:

  1. Needs Ranch Dressin'. ;)
    Roast beef has always been something I've avoided because, quite frankly, I'm afraid to cook meat. I'm excited to try this and WILL report back on my SUCCESS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! Well, if someone felt the need to ruin this perfect piece of meat by dipping it in ranch dressing, they could always see my paleo ranch recipe :-P I can't wait to hear back on your success! It's super easy, and SO delish! Def let me know how it turns out!

      Delete