Southern Paleo Livin'

Southern Paleo Livin'

Friday, July 5, 2013

Bacon Stir-Fry

Bacon. Just the thought alone is delicious. This essentially sums up how I feel about bacon.



Needless to say, I love it. It is amazing. I think most of us can agree that bacon is pretty darn awesome. So when I saw a picture of bacon stir-fry on a friend's instagram, a sheer rush of "I MUST MAKE THIS" ran through my head. A friend commented on my facebook post saying he didn't think bacon is paleo...and technically, it is not. But this is what Paleo Central has to say about it...


I am not saying you should make this bacon stir-fry every day (even though let's face it, that would be incredible). Bacon is a treat I reward myself with on occasion. There are a lot worse things you could reward yourself with! Moderation is key. So let's get this bad boy started!

Ingredients

~8 bacon slices, diced (I made 2 extra, because how is it possible to cook bacon and not sample some?)
~1/2 onion, diced (I used white, but the recipe called for yellow)
~1 medium sweet potato, diced
~1 medium zucchini, diced
~7-8 green beans (since green beans are not paleo I did not include them)
~1 avocado (I do not like avocado, so I did not use any)
~Freshly ground black pepper, to taste


Directions

1. Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Set bacon aside (and save bacon fat!).
2. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of drippings from the bacon pan, onion, and sweet potato.
3. Stirring often, sauté until onions begin to turn translucent and sweet potato softens slightly (about 10-15 minutes).
4. Add zucchini (and green beans if you use them) to the sweet potato mixture and cook until they turn bright green.
5. Combine bacon and vegetables. Season with pepper, and top with avocado if you choose to do so.
6. Sit back and enjoy the amazingness.

**At first I was curious if bacon grease is paleo, and here is what Paleo Central had to say about it!


Here are some pictures of my bacon stir-fry experience. There may be more than necessary, but it was just such a beautiful thing that I couldn't help but document it!




No comments:

Post a Comment