Southern Paleo Livin'

Southern Paleo Livin'

Friday, June 7, 2013

Grilled Chili-Lime Chicken

This recipe originates from Betty Crocker. One of my lifelong besties made this while I was visiting home a few weeks ago, and it was some of the best chicken I have ever had! I was dying for the recipe! So I immediately searched the Betty Crocker website to see if it is paleo, and technically, because of that darn 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, it is not. HOWEVER, I made the decision that 1/2 teaspoon of sugar (well, technically 1/4 since my husband and I shared the meal) would not be THAT big of a deal. And if it is to you, then feel free to omit it. I believe the next time I make this I will omit the sugar and see if I notice any difference.

Ingredients

~2 teaspoons grated lime peel (omg this took me forever to do!)
~1/4 cup lime juice
~1/4 cup olive oil
~2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
~1/2 teaspoon sugar (maybe could use stevia as a substitute?)
~1/2 teaspoon salt
~1 small jalapeƱo chile, seeded and finely chopped
~1 clove garlic, finely chopped
~4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1.25 lbs)


Directions

1. In a shallow dish or resealable bag mix all ingredients except chicken.
2. The next step is for each chicken breast to be pounded with a meat mallet or rolling pin until about 1/4 inch thick, but since I do not have either of those I just bought the thin slice chicken breasts. Add the chicken to marinade and turn to coat. Cover dish/seal bag and refrigerate at least 30 minutes (and according to the recipe no longer than 24 hours).
3. Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat (I used a George Foreman grill and it honestly did not go very well, so I don't recommend it). Remove chicken from marinade. Cover and grill chicken over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, turning once, until chicken is thoroughly cooked.


Some tips:

~The recipe states that if you don't care for the taste of cilantro (which I will admit was a bit strong), try using chopped parsley instead. Will have to try this.

~To use the leftover marinade as a sauce, boil it for 1 minute to destroy bacteria from the uncooked chicken. Don't be in a hurry to bring it to a boil either.


I don't have a picture of this one, but here is a link to the original recipe

Happy Friday, y'all! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment